Don’t Forget About the 2017 Homestead Benefit!
The 2017 Homestead Benefit Applications have been mailed, and if you qualify, you should have received it in the mail, or if you requested, by email. If you have yet to receive yours, be sure to contact the NJ Division of Taxation office at 1-877-658-2972.
To qualify for the benefit, you must:
- Have owned or occupied a home in NJ that was your principal residence on October 1, 2017
- Had gross income totaling no more than $150,000 for homeowners 65 or older, or disabled
- Had a gross income of no more than $75,000 for homeowners under 65
- Have had a home that was subject to property taxes in 2017
- Have paid your 2017 property taxes
- Have your permanent legal residence in NJ
The benefit will be calculated based on property taxes from 2006 for each home. Most homeowners will receive their benefits as tax credits on their property tax bills.
For those who no longer own the property they resided in, or live in a co-op or retirement community, benefits will be received by check or direct deposit.
All Homestead Benefit applications must be filed no later than December 2, 2019. Applications can be submitted online, or by phone. The automated telephone filing system will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a week during the filing period.